3 whole chicken breasts
3 tablespoons olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
5 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
2 chicken bouillon cubes
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
2 cups yellow onions, chopped (2 onions)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 cups medium-diced carrots, blanched for 2 minutes
1 (10-ounce) package frozen peas (2 cups)
1 1/2 cups frozen small whole onions
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
For the pastry:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/4 pound cold unsalted butter, diced
1/2 to 2/3 cup ice water
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
Flaked sea salt and cracked black pepper
* Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
* Place chicken on a baking sheet and rub with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 35 to 40 min, or until cooked through. Cut the chicken into large dice.
* In a small saucepan, heat the chicken stock and the bouillon cubes in the stock. In a large pot, melt the butter and saute the onions over med-low heat for 10 min or until translucent. Add the flour and cook over low heat, and stir for 2 min. Add the hot chicken stock to the sauce. Simmer over low heat for 1 more min, stirring, until thick. Add heavy cream. Add the chicken, carrots, peas, onions, and parsley.
* Pastry: Mix the flour, salt, + baking powder in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Add the shortening and butter, mix until each piece is coated with flour. Pulse until the fat is the size of peas. With the motor running, add the ice water; process only enough to have it just come together. Dump the dough onto a floured board, knead quickly into a ball. Wrap the dough in plastic and allow it to rest in the refrigerator for 30 min.
* Preheat oven to 375 degrees
* Divide the filling equally among 4 ovenproof bowls. Divide the dough into quarters, roll each piece into an 8 in circles. Brush outside edges of each bowl with egg wash, then place the dough on top. Trim the circle to 1/2-in larger than the top of the bowl. Crimp the dough to fold over the side, pressing it to make it stick. Brush the dough with egg wash and make 3 slits in the top. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 1 hour, or until the top is golden brown and the filling is bubbling hot. Enjoy!